Nowadays, majority of the people are health conscious and they love to workout, practice exercises and keeps themselves fit and strong. If you’re someone who takes care of your health, you would know that there are too many health benefits of exercising. It increases the strength of your heart, helps you lose weight, decrease insulin resistance and takes care of your overall health. Either walking or running on a treadmill is indeed a great exercise which exerts much less stress on your body than running or walking on a normal outdoor surface. Treadmills are lovely fitness gadgets which can help you with careful monitoring of your blood pressure, heart rate and can take care of people with poor heart conditions as well.
A checklist of treadmill walking benefits
The US Department of Health and Human Services recommend at least 150 minutes of exercise per week. Walking is perhaps the most popular exercise and here are the benefits of walking on treadmills.
- Improves your musculoskeletal strength: When you walk regularly on a treadmill, you can maintain an extremely healthy musculoskeletal system which involves your bones, muscles, ligaments, joints and tendons. As a weight-bearing exercise, walking on the treadmill exerts a force on your bones which prevent age-related loss of bones. Walking also tones down the muscles of your buttocks and legs. When you can adjust the treadmill to a different position, it improves the effect of toning on your legs.
- Flexibility of joints: There are moderate-intensity workouts like walking which always keeps the flexibility of joints. This is vital if you have arthritis and hence if you’re suffering from this auto-immune disease, walking on a treadmill will definitely have an added impact on your knee, ankle and hip joints. Treadmill walking will diminish the chances of joint injuries which may be caused due to uneven surfaces.
- Lessens the risk of disease: Regular treadmill walking will reduce the risk of Type 2 diabetes, degenerative arthritis, prediabetes, high blood pressure, insomnia, depression and colon and breast cancer. Walking on a treadmill is yet another form of intensity exercise for at least 150 minutes per week diminishes the risk of premature death. You will be less vulnerable to diseases.
- Management of weight: Walking on a treadmill or walking outdoors helps in management of weight by burning off those added calories and increasing your metabolic rate. There are many treadmills which contain a calorie counter and estimates the total number of calories burned during a single workout. This information is useful for diet planning, particularly when you’re looking for ways to lose weight.
- Cardiovascular fitness: When you do brisk treadmill walking, it improves your cardiovascular fitness and strengthens your heart, thereby reducing your blood pressure. It is through regular walking that you can reduce your cholesterol level, lower the risk of stroke and heart attack.
Treadmills are a vital part of gym and non-gym workout and hence if you’re a fitness freak, go get a treadmill for yourself and start walking to reap the above mentioned benefits.